Job Title: Designer
Department: Varies (See Below)
Reports To: Supervising Engineer
Depending on area of specialization, and under supervision: designs electrical components and/or systems; designs drainage, grading, utilities and improvement plans; or designs structures such as buildings, roads and bridges. Work closely with Project Manager and CAD Technicians.
- Designs and prepares plans and calculations under supervision for specific engineering projects as directed.
- Assists in research studies and information gathering in preparation for specific design projects.
- Maintains organized files relating to designs, plans and projects progression, which facilitates easy access to project information for the Project Manager and other team members as required.
- Coordinates with and delegates appropriate tasks to technical staff, internal departments, and sub-consultants for project components.
- Assists CAD technicians to supervise ongoing project related work and teach new skills.
- Assists in the creation of exhibits for clients.
- Under supervision, interfaces with agencies (i.e., processing, research and plan checks).
- Maintains a high level of quality control.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must be proficient in Civil 3D
- Proficient in Microsoft programs (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to learn and abide by the company’s CAD procedures for layering and file management
Land Development Division
- Master planned communities
- Prepare improvement plans for bridges, buildings, retaining walls
- Prepare improvement plans for flood control structures, detention basin infrastructure, junction structures, water reservoirs and pump stations
Flood Control Division
- Detention Basin design
- FEMA flood zone mapping
- Channel and drainage infrastructure design
- Drainage Exhibits (Vicinity, Location, FIRM, F-MAP, SOILS, Precipitation, Drainage Basin, Facilities)
- Prepare improvement plans for reservoirs, pump stations, and sewer lift stations
- Prepare improvement plans for major utility infrastructure
- Traffic Signal Design
- Arterial and freeway design including roadside safety
- Arterial and Freeway Lighting
- Signing and Striping
- ADA and accessibility design review
- Cost estimates and quantity take-offs
- Advanced CAD design including Grading, Corridors, Pipe Networks, Profiles and Super elevations
This position may or may not have supervisory or oversight responsibilities.
Education and Experience Requirements
Bachelor of Science degree in appropriate engineering discipline preferred and at least three (3) years of experience using AutoCAD Civil 3Dsoftware is required.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Valid driver’s license and ability to drive company vehicles.
Please note this job description is designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. This job description is not intended to create or imply an employment contract; the employee/employer relationship remains at-will.