Job Title: Engineering Intern I
Department: Flood Control
Reports To: Project Manager
As an Engineering Intern I at GCW, you will have the opportunity to work on entry-level professional engineering assignments from the designs of others, compile data, perform elementary design computations, and prepare engineering plans.
- Assists with design and planning of engineering projects under supervision of the Project Manager.
- Assists with report preparation, modeling, calculations, drawing preparation and revisions, and review of shop drawings and requests-for-information.
- Interacts, as directed, with clients on an intermittent basis and gathers information from government agencies as needed.
- Assists with the preparation of cost estimates.
- Assists with study plans.
- Conducts research and preparation of draft technical specifications for review and approval by Project Manager.
- Submits requests, as directed, to appropriate government agencies.
- Works closely with CAD Technicians, Designers, other E.I.’s, and college interns to assist and complete project goals and deadlines.
- Attends in-house training programs.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Possesses ability to apply engineering principles to evaluate and solve basic engineering problems.
- Working knowledge of CAD Civil 3D software and Microsoft programs (Word, Excel, and Project).
- For some departments, specific working knowledge of ArcGIS software and/or WaterCAD is preferred.
Flood Control Division
- Assists with report preparation, modeling, calculations and exhibits under supervision of a Project Manager or Engineer
- Utilize hydrologic and hydraulic modeling software, such as US Army Corps of Engineers HEC-suite
- Assists with the preparation of quantity and cost estimates
- Coordinating submittals
- Conducts research for use in preparing drainage studies
- Reviews design plans for drainage criteria
- Submits requests, as directed, to appropriate government agencies
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience Requirements
Bachelors of Science degree in an appropriate engineering discipline.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Successful completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam: EI certificate.
*Please note this job description is designed to contain a listing of essential activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee to successfully perform this job. This list is not meant to be an all-inclusive list as duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. This job description is not intended to create or imply an employment contract; the employee/employer relationship remains at-will.