Job Title: Engineering Intern
Department: Water/Wastewater, Transportation (See Below)
Reports To: Project Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
As an Engineer in Training at GCW, you will have the opportunity to work on entry-level professional engineering assignments from the designs of others, compile data, perform elementary design computations, and prepare engineering plans.
- Assists with design and planning of engineering projects under supervision of the Project Manager
- Assists with report preparation, modeling, calculations, drawing preparation and revisions, and review of shop drawings and requests-for-information
- Interacts, as directed, with clients on an intermittent basis and gathers information from government agencies as needed
- Assists with the preparation of cost estimates
- Assists with study plans
- Conducts research and preparation of draft technical specifications for review and approval by Project Manager
- Submits requests, as directed, to appropriate government agencies
- Works closely with CAD Technicians, Designers, other E.I.’s, and college interns to assist and complete project goals and deadlines
- Attends in-house training programs
- Perform water and sewer analysis
- Prepare GIS databases and exhibits documenting existing and proposed infrastructures
- Condition assessment of sewer facilities and rehab recommendations
- Improvement plans for reservoirs, pump stations, and sewer lift stations
- Improvement plans for major utility infrastructure
- Sewer and Water Main infrastructure design
- Sewer Capacity Studies
- Perform Hydraulic Analysis
- Perform Utility Coordination
- Preliminary Design Reports
- Traffic Studies
- Traffic Models/Simulations
- Traffic Signal Design
- Arterial and freeway design including roadside safety
- Utility Coordination
- Addressing utility/agency/project manager red lines and comments to plans
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Possesses ability to apply engineering principles to evaluate and solve basic engineering problems.
Education and Experience Requirements
Bachelors of Science degree in an appropriate engineering discipline.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Working knowledge of CAD Civil 3D software and Microsoft programs (Word, Excel, Project). Successful completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam: EI certificate. For some departments, specific working knowledge of ArcGIS software and/or WaterCAD is preferred.
- Paid medical, vision, dental, life, and disability insurance
- Paid time off including vacation, 9 ½ holidays, and sick leave
- A retirement savings plan and an employee stock ownership plan
- Professional membership reimbursements, tuition reimbursement, employee referral bonus program, annual bonuses, 1st time PE bonus, license renewal reimbursement
- Competitive salaries and more
*Please note this job description is designed to contain a listing of essential activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee to successfully perform this job. This list is not meant to be an all-inclusive list as duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. This job description is not intended to create or imply an employment contract; the employee/employer relationship remains at-will.