Job Title: Party Chief
Department: Field Survey
Reports To: Field Survey Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Organizes and maintains field survey crew efficiently in completing assigned projects. Accurately collects, calculates, and records field data for preparing topographic maps, record of survey maps, construction staking, boundary surveys, and ALTA/NSPS. Reviews job specifications and plans fieldwork methods and costs.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Manages and oversees a survey crew and all operations assigned to that particular crew, as well as ensures the accuracy of all work performed by the survey crew.
- Prepares and verifies mathematical calculations related to surveying and basic engineering; computes distances, bearings traverses, and elevations.
- Conducts project research, secures equipment, uses safety techniques, performs the survey operation, and handles the equipment, records data and other associated duties.
- Has knowledge of the operation, checking and basic field adjustments on transits, total stations, data collectors, levels, compass, tribrachs, and tripods.
- Keeps neat and orderly field notes for standard surveying operations: leveling, traversing, topographic mapping, layout, as-built surveys, boundary surveys, profile and cross-section surveys.
- Enters field data and can produce positional information (i.e., leveling, traversing, topographic mapping) with either a hand-held calculator or micro-computer software.
- Reads and interprets construction plans, topographical maps, and final maps and records or survey.
- Operates and oversees the operation of survey instruments required to perform surveys including providing the proper care and cleaning of all instruments and equipment.
- Ensures all survey materials and equipment are clean, charged and in good working condition, and adequately stowed and loaded onto the survey truck each day.
- Assists engineers with as-built information, site conditions, and conflicts found with engineering plans as requested.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proficient with data collection techniques
- Conventional field note taking and sketching skills
- Knowledge of Total Stations
- Knowledge of Robotics
- Proficient with Trimble GPS data collection software
- Skills in construction stakeout and horizontal/vertical control
Education and Experience Requirements
Must possess a high school diploma or GED. Associates in Applied Science or Bachelors in Applied Science is preferred. (5) Years minimum of survey experience and a minimum of (3) years of experience as a Party Chief or a combination of survey experience and academic preparation.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
LSIT certification or able to sit the LSIT exam is preferred. Valid driver’s license and ability to drive company vehicles.
Please note this job description is designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. This job description is not intended to create or imply an employment contract; the employee/employer relationship remains at-will.